Complete Submission Rules
We are conducting an open Audition to discover and promote talent to help keep Doo Wop alive and vibrant. We are looking for groups of performers who sing acapella or with instrumentation in the classic Doo Wop style to feature in a televised performance.
See the information below on submitting audition tapes. The performers we select based on the auditions will receive an offer to sing at a performance that we will tape, either in your area of the country or at a live event at a location that may be anywhere in the country. We will provide at our discretion instrumental backup, through a house band or instrumental track, for singers who request it. Performers who do not have original material will be required to select a classic Doo Wop song from a repertoire that we provide. For those who are selected to perform based on the auditions, we will pay basic travel and lodging expenses, although any expenses beyond those that we specify in advance will be the responsibility of the performer(s). Any offer to perform is subject to performer(s) signing a publicity agreement with our standard terms and conditions and failure to sign the agreement will result in forfeiture of the opportunity to perform. Any offers for a minor to perform are valid only if a parent or legal guardian signs an affidavit and release required by Sponsor.
Please note that this is not a contest. There is no fee to audition and no payment for auditioning. If you are chosen to perform based on our analysis of your audition video, we will pay your reasonable expenses to get to the site of the performance. However you will not receive any prize. If we choose to include your performance in a television program or a video that we distribute you will get solely the attendant publicity, which we hope will advance the cause of Doo Wop and perhaps of your career. If we propose to use that performance for any commercial purpose we will make an offer to you for the rights, which you may accept or reject.
- ELIGIBILITY. Only performers who are legal residents of the U.S. States and the District of Columbia are eligible to audition. You must be over 13 years old to audition. If you are a minor 14 or over, a parent or legal guardian must provide a signed authorization for you to audition. Proof of residency and age may be required. If you are a minor and reside in a State in which court approval is needed to perform, you will be responsible for securing that approval. Performers must be willing and able to perform publicly as noted in the paragraph above. By submitting an audition tape, Performers agree to be bound by these provisions and our decisions on whom to choose for performances will be binding and final.
As of the date of submitting an audition tape and through the date of any performance, no performer may have a current recording contract or be bound by obligations to any third party that would conflict with the rights, or interfere with our exercise of the rights, granted herein.
- AUDITION PERIOD. The Audition Period begins at 12:01 a.m. Eastern Time on August September 15, 2017 and ends at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on November 12, 2017.
- TO SUBMIT AN AUDITION VIDEO: Visit www.DooWopStar.com during the Audition Period and follow the directions to complete and submit the official submission form. Submit one video of your group’s live performance of one song, between 2 and 4 minutes in length, and all other materials and information required by the form. No lip-synching. We need the names of all of the members of the group and the name of the group leader, if there is one. Limit one Audition per group and no person may be a part of more than one group submitting an audition tape. Audition videos received in excess of these limitations will be void. Any attempt to use multiple names or other tactics to submit additional audition materials beyond the stated limits may result in your disqualification to audition, in which case all associated audition videos will be void. All audition videos become our property and will not be returned. Performances must be presented on video; no audio-only submissions will be accepted. If the likeness of a minor is included, grant of rights must include permission from the minor’s parent or legal guardian on behalf of the minor authorizing the use of the minor’s likeness. An audition performance must be the original work of the Performer, the performance may not have been previously published, and the performance may not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity, or other intellectual property or other rights of any person or entity, except to the extent that you may perform a published song and the style of the performance may be reminiscent of the style of classic Doo Wop performing groups.Keep it clean: audition videos must not contain material that is sexually explicit, violent, or discriminatory, or promotes illegal activities. By submitting an audition video, you acknowledge that we, in our sole discretion, may choose whether or not to invite you to perform in person.
- USE OF AUDITION VIDEOS. By submitting an Audition Video, you assign the copyright in the performance to us. If that assignment is not effective, you grants us an exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, display, and/or transmit the Audition Video in connection with this Audition or otherwise in any manner or media now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity for advertising, promotional, and other purposes, without further notification or permission. If we make commercial use of any Audition Video, we will do so under our standard talent agreement, with a built-in recording option for two years. Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Audition Videos by third parties. We have no obligation to make use of the rights that you grant.
- AUDITION CRITERIA. All eligible Audition Videos submitted will be reviewed by one or more judges who are knowledgeable about Doo Wop music, based on the overall quality of your vocal performance, faithfulness to the Doo Wop tradition, and choreography and costume.
- NOTIFICATION OF A SUCCESFUL AUDITION. Performers who are given an offer to perform at a live event or performance to be taped will be notified by e-mail and may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release, and, where lawful, a publicity release within seven days of date of notification. If those documents are not returned within the specified time period, or if an offer to perform is returned as undeliverable, or if any performer is not in compliance with these requirements, the offer to perform at an event may be rescinded at our discretion.
- PUBLICITY GRANT. Each performer, by acceptance of an offer to perform at a taped or live event, except where legally prohibited, grants permission for us and our designees to use his/her name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness for advertising, trade, and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, in any manner and with any materials, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
- RELEASE. Performers by participating in the auditions and in any taped or live performance agree that we and our affiliates and our advertising and promotion agencies and all of their respective officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents (collectively, “Released Parties”) will have no liability for, and shall be held harmless by performers against, any liability, for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind to persons or property resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation in a taped or live event, including any travel or activity related thereto. Offers for minors to perform in an event will be made to a parent or legal guardian, who must sign the required affidavit or releaser.
- DISQUALIFICATIONS. We reserve the right to disqualify and/or exclude, in our sole and absolute discretion, any individual from proceeding beyond the submission of an audition tape. ALL FORMS MUST BE FILLED OUT COMPLETELY AND TRUTHFULLY. IF YOU FAIL TO COMPLETE ANY FORM, GIVE ANY FALSE INFORMATION, OR FAIL TO REVEAL ANY PERTINENT INFORMATION, YOU MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE AUDITION PROCESS.